Starting on April 15th, the initiative will target truck and taxi drivers and will take place at a Truck Rest Area on Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Road in Dubai over the course of four days. Representatives from Continental and RTA will be on the ground to distribute meals, while also providing road users with tips to help them drive in a calm and safe manner this Ramadan.
“Safety is a top priority for Continental and as part of our Vision Zero Initiative, we are pleased we can do our part in keeping the UAE’s roads safe, especially during the Holy Month. This is why we set up our meal station on such a major route as the E311, to remind people of some of the more important safety tips when driving and fasting. We are delighted to work with the RTA once again, and hope that over the next four days, we can really make a difference and help road users during this time,” said Mostafa Farouk, Marketing Manager at Continental Middle East.
Continental and the RTA understand that this is a particularly challenging time of the year for drivers at times when blood sugar is low due to fasting. To assist drivers, the RTA has put together a number of safety tips to follow, such as:
- Avoid driving after a heavy meal, especially after breaking the fast
- Be patient while driving during fasting periods and be sure to leave a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you
- Expect traffic congestion and give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination to reduce stress while driving
- Avoid arguments with drivers who do not follow traffic rules or good driving practices and stay in your lane
- Take a good rest before driving – if you feel exhausted, drowsy or if you are yawning frequently, you should stop driving immediately
- If you are driving and it is nearly time to break fast, stop at the nearest petrol station or grocery store to have a light meal and drink water, then resume driving to your destination
- Ensure the air conditioning in the car is on, as the hot weather causes fatigue and exhaustion
- Avoid reclining the seat back too much and try to maintain your back in an upright position, with your head up while driving
To discover more about Continental’s Vision Zero Initiative and to keep up-to-date with more initiatives from Continental, please visit https://ae.continental-me.com/en/.