Dubai. An elegant and electrified coupé with superb agility and driving dynamics, a high-traction all-wheel-drive vehicle offering exceptional everyday comfort: the new Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S 4MATIC+ Coupé combines numerous vehicle personalities in one model.
At the heart of the Performance, SUV Coupé is the AMG 4.0-litre V8 bi-turbo engine, which has been electrified with an EQ Boost starter-alternator and a 48-volt on-board electrical system to deliver an immediate response at start-up. The model delivers an impressive output of 450 kW (612 hp). Agility is guaranteed through an AMG RIDE CONTROL+ air-sprung suspension with AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL roll stabilization, a fully variable AMG Performance 4MATIC+ all-wheel drive, and an AMG SPEEDSHIFT TCT 9G 9-speed automatic transmission.
An AMG through and through, the Coupé is equipped with an AMG-specific radiator grille and features all the advantages of a Mercedes SUV including a comprehensive range of safety features and superior traction on damp, sandy or snowy driving surfaces.
“Our new GLE 63 S Coupé rounds off our attractive portfolio in this segment. It meets the highest expectations in terms of design and exclusivity as well as excellent driving dynamics and agility. Thus, our latest SUC is an outstanding example of Performance Luxury made by AMG. In addition to that, even our GLE Coupé disposes of a 48-volt onboard electrical system connected with the EQ Boost starter-alternator which makes us drive the electrification of our model series in a consistent way”, says Tobias Moers, Chairman of the Board of Management of Mercedes-AMG GmbH.
Expressive, powerful and elegant: the exterior design
The design idiom of the exterior is the embodiment of hallmark AMG Driving Performance. As a typical feature of the Performance models, the front apron in a dynamic jet-wing design is painted in the vehicle color and has black air intakes. Imposing power domes in the bonnet and the front splitter in silver chrome emphasize the sharper coupé design all round.
The side skirts, exterior mirror housings, and flared wheel arches are painted in the vehicle color and seamlessly blend into the muscular overall look. The model is shod with 22-inch light-alloy wheels with AMG lettering as standard.
The newly designed rear apron with AMG-specific details such as a striking diffuser in black and a trim strip in silver chrome visually accentuate the vehicle’s width. The special AMG exhaust system with two rectangular high-gloss chrome-plated twin tailpipe trim elements completes the sportily dominant look – the tailpipe trim elements are visually differentiated by a characteristic fluted effect. Further individualization options are available in the AMG Night Package. This includes heat-insulating, dark-tinted windows and also the front splitter, front and rear apron trim, inserts in the side skirts, mirror caps and window frames in dignified black. In addition, the twin tailpipe trim elements are finished in elegant high-gloss black.
Progressive, elegant and aesthetic: the interior design
The typical look and feel of the brand are continued in the high-quality interior of the GLE 63 S Coupé, which is characterized by a resolutely sporty ambiance with a dynamic and exclusive flair. The AMG seats are upholstered in Nappa leather, provide optimum lateral support and have an AMG-specific seat pattern layout with an “AMG” badge in the front backrests. Other leather variants are optionally available. The variant is further identified by its grey seat belts and contrasting topstitching in the seats in silver grey. Individually adjustable ambient lighting comes as standard.
Continuation of electrification: the EQ Boost starter-alternator in the AMG 4.0-litre V8 bi-turbo engine
The 4.0-liter V8 bi-turbo engine in the new GLE 63 S Coupé (450 kW/612 hp) is fitted with an integrated EQ Boost starter-alternator that gives the car a combined fuel consumption of 11.5 l/100 km and combined CO2 emissions of 263-262 g/km). It combines the starter motor and alternator in a single, powerful electric motor compactly integrated between the engine and the transmission and also utilizes twin-turbocharging, where the two exhaust-gas turbochargers are arranged to make optimum use of the exhaust gas flow and improve response even further.
Driving pleasure to the power of seven: AMG DYNAMIC SELECT and AMG DYNAMICS
The seven DYNAMIC SELECT drive programs Comfort, Sport, Sport+, Individual, RACE, Trail and Sand allow a very varied driving experience with a widespread between maximum comfort and agile sportiness.
- “Comfort”: comfortable and fuel-efficient driving, e.g. thanks to early upshifts. Suspension and steering are set up for an emphasis on comfort.
- “Sport”: sporty characteristics thanks to the more agile response to accelerator pedal commands, shorter shift times, earlier and more precise downshifts owing to double-declutching. More dynamic suspension setup.
- “Sport+”: extremely sporty characteristics thanks to even more agile throttle response, double-declutching on downshifts and targeted torque interventions on upshifts with cylinder deactivation for optimized shift times. Increased idle speed for faster pulling away. An even more dynamic setup for suspension, steering, and powertrain.
- “Individual”: individual adjustment of the drive system, transmission, AMG DYNAMICS, suspension, and exhaust system. In addition, the gliding function is available in the “Reduced” and “Moderate” drive settings.
- “RACE”: the “RACE” drive program is designed for highly dynamic driving on closed race circuits. In this program, all of the parameters are configured for maximum performance.
- “Trail”: safe driving at maximum performance on the soft, muddy or slippery ground by adjusting the throttle response, force distribution and the suspension. The suspension is raised to a higher level. From 70 km/h the suspension is automatically lowered again.
- “Sand”: the adjustments to the suspension and the 4MATIC+ all-wheel drive are made for sporty driving on loose, sandy surfaces. The suspension is raised to a higher level. From 70 km/h the suspension is automatically lowered again.
The drive programs are linked to the AMG DYNAMICS agility control, which means that the handling characteristics can be even more closely matched with different requirements and driving conditions. Behind the umbrella term, AMG DYNAMICS are the agility functions “Basic”, “Advanced”, “Pro” and “Master”, whose functions are automatically selected by the respective drive program. The further “Traction” and “Slide” levels come into effect in the Off-Road “Trail” and “Sand” drive programs when the ESP® is deactivated.
Precise and fast: the AMG SPEEDSHIFT TCT 9G transmission
The SPEEDSHIFT TCT 9G transmission is specially tuned to the requirements of the eight-cylinder engine in the GLE 63 S Coupé. Highlights of the transmission include:
- adaptation of the shift characteristics to the selected AMG DYNAMIC SELECT drive program
- in manual mode “M” the transmission responds directly to manual shift commands by the driver – the powertrain responds precisely and executes the commands almost instantly
- the temporary M mode allows an immediate change to manual mode “M” – merely by using the shift paddles
- automatic double-declutching function when downshifting: this effect is automatically active in the drive programs “Sport”, “Sport+” and “RACE”
- the ECO start/stop function is automatically active in the “Comfort” drive program
- the “gliding” function can be individually activated in “Individual” mode
With AMG-specific displays: the MBUX infotainment system
The innovative MBUX control and display concept is a standard feature of the GLE 63 S Coupé, creating an even closer bond between the vehicle, driver, and passengers. At the same time, the latest version of the infotainment system contributes to the great day-to-day practicality. Emotive displays such as the particularly striking Supersport mode with a central rev counter and 3D-look scales lend visual depth to the instrument and accentuate the exclusivity.
The “Supersport” view provides extensive additional information specific to AMG, such as a prompt borrowed from motorsport to shift up in manual transmission mode, a feature known as “Shiftlight”. Via the AMG menu, the driver can call up various special displays:
- Gear display ‑ with yellow “M” symbol in manual mode
- Warm-Up menu ‑ engine and transmission oil temperature
- Set-Up menu ‑ AMG DYNAMIC SELECT settings
- G-Meter – longitudinal and lateral acceleration forces
- RACETIMER – stopwatch, lap and sector times
- Engine data – output and torque, engine oil and transmission oil temperature
The newly designed visualizations in the multimedia display enable further vehicle functions to be experienced even better, e.g. with an animated presentation of the driving assistance, vehicle and communication systems, and the drive programs. When the AMG-specific DYNAMIC SELECT drive programs “Trail” and “Sand” are activated, off-road-specific settings such as gradient, incline, and differential lock can be selected in the instrument cluster and appear in the media display.
Technical data at a glance
|Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S 4MATIC+ Coupé|
|Engine||4.0-liter V8 with twin-turbocharging and integrated EQ Boost starter-alternator|
|Output||450 kW (612 hp) at 5750-6500 rpm
+ 16 kW (22 hp) from EQ Boost starter-alternator
|Peak torque||850 Nm at 2500-4500 rpm|
|Drive||AMG Performance 4MATIC+ all-wheel drive with fully variable torque distribution|
|Transmission||AMG SPEEDSHIFT TCT 9G transmission|
|Combined fuel consumption||11.5 l/100 km*|
|Combined CO2 emissions||263 g/km*|
|Acceleration 0-100 km/h||3.8 s|
|Top speed||280 km/h***|
* The stated figures were determined in accordance with the prescribed measuring method.
These are the “NEDC CO2 figures” according to Article 2 No. 1 Implementing Regulation (EU) 2017/1153.
The fuel consumption figures were calculated on the basis of these figures.
** electronically limited, with optional AMG Drivers Package 280 km/h
*** electronically limited