Ever since the debut of its first generation in 1999, the Lexus IS has pursued the fun of driving unique to compact rear-wheel-drive sports sedans. Along with being a car that has built Lexus driving performance by serving like a whetstone for fine-tuning the driving sense of drivers, the IS has earned popularity through its high-level driving performance, as well as through its sporty styling, selling an approximate cumulative total of 1.09 million units*1 over a span of more than 20 years. The 2021 IS will be available in showrooms by the last quarter of 2020 and will be the first Lexus designed and produced for track days. It has been developed extensively on the track, specifically at the recently established Toyota Technical Center Shimoyama, which contains a series of separate tracks including one designed to simulate the Nürburgring.
For more information, visit the Lexus UAE website.
2021 Lexus IS Exterior:
- Based on test-drive results, thorough tuning was conducted for various road conditions and driving situations to improve elements such as instantaneous responsiveness to driver input and the suppression of unnecessary movement in sprung mass. Furthermore, not only the early response of steering and pedal application but also improvement of controllability upon “returning to center” makes successive driving operations smoother.
- In the hybrid version, control of the generation of driving force in relation to accelerator input has been updated in pursuit of even-sportier driving.
- The 2.0-liter turbo version features adaptive transmission control that evaluates the driving environment based on factors such as the depression of the accelerator by the driver, and selects the most-appropriate gear for each driving situation, achieving linear response to accelerator operation and driver intention.
- Body rigidity was enhanced by, among others, reinforcing radiator side supports, increasing the number of front-side-member weld points, and optimizing structures from the C-pillars to the sides of the roof. This has resulted in the complete elimination of unwanted noise and vibration and improved riding comfort, as well as in improvement of driving performance, such as in the form of response to steering wheel operation.
- New-design 19-inch tires broadly improve cornering*2 performance. Additionally, hub bolts are used to fasten the wheels, resulting in handling and braking that provide a good sensation due to increased fastening strength and reduced mass.
- Swing-valve shock absorbers have been employed and are equipped with ultralow-velocity valves in their pistons that manage oil flow in response to the most minor of road irregularities and that generate appropriate damping force. Even when the stroke speed of the shock absorbers is low, appropriate damping force will be exerted, providing excellent responsiveness on all varieties of road surfaces, resulting in ride quality that is consistently even.
- Active Sound Control*4 enhances comfort and quietness during urban driving and delivers a powerful engine sound that creates a sense of driver-vehicle oneness in situations suited to enjoying aggressive driving.
2021 Lexus IS main specifications*
|Length (mm)||4,710 (+30)|
|Width (mm)||1,840 (+30)|
|Height (mm)||1,435 (+5)|
|Tyre size||19 inches|