Cadillac has unveiled their fifth-generation Escalade 2021 in Los Angeles. The all-new state of the arch completely redesigned SUV has different dimensions and is pioneering a new technology.
Confidence-inspiring performance remains a hallmark of the 2021 Escalade, with a new 6.2L V-8 engine offered as standard. With variable valve timing, stop/start and Dynamic Fuel Management technologies, it balances performance 420 horsepower with comparative efficiency.
For the first time, the Escalade offered with an available 3.0L turbo-diesel engine, which is designed to produce strong torque across the powerband for confident performance and trailering capability. Its 460 lb-ft (623 Nm) of peak torque matches the 6.2L V-8.
Both engines are matched with a 10-speed automatic transmission with electronic shift control, and a trailering package is standard on all models. An enhanced trailering experience is offered with the available Trailering Integration Package.
“There is something special about driving an Escalade,” said Steve Carlisle, Cadillac president. “It has a bold presence and exclusive technology to elevate the extraordinary and make every drive feel like an occasion.”
The Cadillac Escalade axle will be replaced by a modern multi-link independent suspension, while other new technologies include paddle shifters and the latest Super Cruise.
“The 2021 Escalade takes its leadership into a new era of mobility, with comprehensive upgrades that are transformative to the driving experience,” said Carlisle. ”It’s more than a new Escalade. It’s a unique experience.”
The interiors have been completely renovated with the most advanced technology, including a curved Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED), which is a 38-inch curved OLED display. This large display will be Cadillacs first ever to have such a large screen.
Additionally, the interior also includes the first AKG automotive audio system with leather interiors giving it a luxurious look.
First curved OLED display technology
Escalade has decided to launch the industry-first curved OLED display, which is 38 inches wide diagonal, double the pixel density of a 4K television. The quality displayed by Escalade is done by no other automobile, bold, perfect blacks, and the most extensive color range.
The display has been divided into three sections:
- 7.2-inch-diagonal touch control panel at driver’s left
- 14.2-inch-diagonal cluster display just behind the steering wheel
- 16.9-inch-diagonal Infotainment screen to the driver’s right.
The OLED is as thin as paper and slightly curved for optimal visibility.
Colors on OLED technology
The colors on the OLED are vivid and displays True color that emits within the screen. The OLED eliminates the need for a backlight making the screen thinner and lighter.
The Escalade includes several other advanced features such as:
- Augmented Reality-enabled navigation projects live street views with directional overlays and enhance driving directions.
- Surround Vision, four exterior cameras to provide a 2-megapixel bird’ s-eye view around the vehicle.
- Trailering Integration Package, a nine camera view all around the car. The package also includes an integrated trailer brake controller and a trailering app that offers trailer profiles. The profile displays tire pressure, temperature, and an Extended Side Blind Zone Alert.
- Rear Camera Mirror displays the view inside the mirror screen.
- Night Vision is an infrared technology to enhance visibility, which includes detections of pedestrians and large animals, projected on the center cluster display.
- New rear-seat entertainment, a 12.6-inch-diagonal independent touch displays with navigation as well as the streaming capability to play games, music, and videos through HDMI and USB inputs. The screens can also mirror Android smartphones.
Industry-first AKG audio technology
AKG is known worldwide for microphones and headphones. It has brought its audio technology to the auto industry for the first time, exclusively for Cadillac.
Audio technology includes:
- Audio technology with 36 AKG speakers creating a crisp surround sound experience.
- Conversation Enhancement, using microphones and AKG speakers for front and rear passenger communication
- Intuitive audio navigation, indicating distance and direction instructions
In addition to its, AKG technology enables additional advanced features in the Escalade, including:
- Studio 3D Surround creates professional-level sound through the multichannel audio system.
- Conversation Enhancement. Vehicle communication between the front and rear passengers is enhanced.
- Audio Rendering for navigation. Turn-by-turn navigation instructions are more intuitive with audio prompts coming exclusively from the sound system’s left- or right-hand speakers.
- Front Passenger Volume Control. The front-seat passengers with dedicated volume control for each front seat.
The First SUV to Super Cruise
The 2021 Escalade is the first full-size SUV with Super Cruise driver assistance technology. It enables hands-free driving on more than 320,000 kilometers using LiDAR map data, high-precision GPS, a state-of-the-art driver attention system, and a network of cameras and radar sensors.
- Automated lane change, a single lane change using the turn signal to indicate the direction of the desired move.
- Dynamic lane offset, lanes can be adjusted as per the driver’s comfort.
Additionally, new messaging on the driver information center alerts drivers when Super Cruise may not be available in certain instances.
More Chassis More Room
The 2021 Escalade is much more spacious for the passengers and their cargo. New architecture and new chassis technologies have significantly expanded interior space.
Due to longer wheelbase and vehicle length, the advantages are:
- Independent rear suspension, which enables a lower interior floor.
- Spacious seating, the second and third rows have more legroom. Compared to previous models there is a 40 percent increase in third-row legroom (34.9 inches / 886 mm)
- Larger cargo space, increased vehicle length provide an ample cargo space, which is 68 percent larger than the previous models.
“Escalade’s new architecture enables a unique series of wins for drivers and passengers,” said Tim Herrick, vice president for global product programs. “We greatly increased passenger space, expanded cargo-carrying capability – and at the same time delivered significant enhancements to both ride quality and handling performance.”
- An all-new independent rear suspension, allowing each wheel to handle road conditions separately to enhance ride quality dramatically, steering responsiveness, and overall driver control.
- Cadillac’s signature Magnetic Ride Control is the world’s fastest reacting suspension technology. It uses sensors to continually “read” the road and alter the damping rate of the shocks almost instantly.
- New Air Ride Adaptive Suspension delivers automatic load-leveling and ride-height adjustments continuously at all four wheels.
- An electronic limited-slip differential (eLSD), offers more precise traction and power engagement for the rear wheels, including cornering and wet weather conditions.
Coming This Winter
The vehicle will be launched in the third quarter this year in North America, and soon available in the first quarter of 2022 in the Middle East.
Performance - /10
Driving Pleasure - /10
Look and Style - /10
Fuel Economy - /10
Value for Money - /10